Friday, June 04, 2010

Moving More

If you are like me.... the idea of simply going out and walking doesn't sounds very appealing. I bring my iPod loaded up with my favorite songs to listen to while I drive to work and I start my walk. Halfway through I am ready to stop. I am bored, hot, and just plain done. Getting me go out walking has always been a chore. I stop wanting to go. I figure... who will know if I really don't go out today????
I found a way to change all of that for me... and I found a way to keep my walks entertaining.

First.... I got new Nike+ shoes and a Nike+kit. If you have not seen this thing you should check it out. It is a flat chip that goes into your sneakers and it counts how far you walk,calories burned, average pace, etc. It sync with your iPod so you can listen to your music while you run or walk and get spoken updates on your progress while you go. The best thing about the whole thing is that you can sync your runs/walks to Nike+ online. When you do that you get to create a Mini. This is an avatar that represents your running persona. When you do not exercise your mini is bored. When you do exercise your mini is full of energy and fun to watch. This has really motivated me to keep my mini happy.... you can also link your mini and progress onto your twitter account or facebook page. This has helped me also because I don't want people to think I am lazy. lol. (The Pic is of my Nike+ Mini... Isn't she CUTE!!!!)
Next...
Since I have to be to work at 5:30am and it takes me 30 minutes to get to work... I get up pretty early and by the time I get home at 5:00pm I am worn out. I don't feel like going out and walking or anything else for that matter... So I have been getting up earlier. It works out great because I gets me pumped up for the day and by the time my high wears off I am driving home anyways. PERFECT. But to help get my adrenaline rushing I decided to change the types of songs on my workout playlist on my iPod. I have a couple of everyday songs that I love, but then the rest of silly and fun songs that make me laugh and just want to up and dance around the room like a crazy person. And that I what I do when I walk.... I dance too. (It is 3:00am... there is no one awake to see my foolishness). I got this idea while at a Weight Watchers Meeting... the topic of discussion was how we needed to Move More... I thought of my nieces and how they dance to everything. They love music and don't care who the dance in front of. I thought... wouldn't it be great to have that much energy again. So I decided to give it s shot. I chose a 'Power Song' that I play towards the end of my workout when I am getting tired and bored.... It is 'I think we're alone now' by Tiffany. That song comes on and I can't help it... I am skipping down the street, jumping, shuffling my feet, pumping my arms in the air, turning in circles, etc. It may sound dumb or corny, but it really gives me that push to go a little bit longer on my walk, get the sweat flowing, and give me an adrenaline rush that lasts throughout the entire day. I don't care how stupid I look dancing in the middle of my walk outside... It is worth it to me. After that is done, I pick a favorite slow song and walk for another 5 minutes to cool down before I go inside.
(to put it into perspective...when I started walking it was all I could do to make myself stay out for 15 minutes before growing tired and bored.... since I started adding the dancing to my routine I have increased to about an hour routine). Something must be working.
I have weigh-in tomorrow so we will see how this holds up on the weight loss front.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Great work and remember, muscle weighs more than fat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, we need to connect on the Nike site. I love my mini too. I walk a lot here but I very rarely wear my Nike gear. Maybe this will prompt me to get going on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant!
    My motivation is my dog - he needs to get out & walk & sniff. Plus, he's really entertaining on a walk!

    ReplyDelete