Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Discovered Treasure Trove.....

So... Great things come from unexpected places! I fully believe this.

So I know that I can be a bit.... snobby....when it comes to certain things. So when Jesse told me that he wanted to go to the Flea Market over the Holiday break... I was like... "Oh, ok. That will be interesting." I just had the picture of this dirty place and people trying to sell their used crap. Then I thought that there might be a chance that I could find an old awesome blender or juicer (since I was looking for one to start my raw again 2010 challenge). So the day after Christmas we woke up semi early (The alarm went off at 6:00am but we didn't get out of bed until 8:00am) and then went to the flea market. There were not alot of vendors there, but we figured that once the holidays were over it will be back to its normal booming self. It was an outdoor market so it was freezing, but what I found was totally worth it. No, I didn't find a juicer or blender, but there were migrant workers there that were selling every kind of fruit and vegetable that you can think of! The carrots were the size of my head. There was fresh cabbages, raddishes, tomatoes, some fuzzy thing that I didn't know what it was. I had to ask! Apparently it is a squash of some sort. A little research and I discovered that it was a chayote squash. I think I might have to try one. I felt like they had almost anything you could imagine and the prices were fantastic. They were selling a huge bag of bananas for $1.00.
The Plan is to stop by the market again Sunday and stock up on food for the week. I take pictures and let you know what we get. (just excuse the phone camera pictures until I get a new digital camera).

I also did get my Juicer, but I went to the evil Walmart for it. :) It isnt the best juicer in the world but it will last me until I save up enough money for a high end one. :)

So only a few more days until the challenge starts. I am really excited!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you gave the flea market a try! I was also skeptical, but soon found that I love them!

    ReplyDelete